Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Reupholstered Footstool

It's a couple of weeks later, but I finally finished reupholstering the footstool I purchased recently. I got this footstool for $22 at Home Goods (my first foray into the Home Goods world). It didn't look too bad before, but the fabric was a bit stained and it just didn't go with my room at all.


Here's how I did it:
I stripped off the fabric and the trim and used it as a template to cut out my new fabric:

I used spray adhesive to glue down the top part over the foam, doing a little bit at a time to make sure the fabric was smooth and taut.

I wanted two strips of self welting- one along the top, and one along the bottom. To make the self welt, I joined strips of fabric cut on the bias. I put the self welt cording in the middle of the fabric strip and sewed the cord snuggly into the piece of fabric.

I used iron on hem tape to adhere the two strips of welting to the fabric that goes around the side of the footstool, and then more spray adhesive to glue the entire piece around the footstool.

The seam turned out a little messy, so I used some nailhead strips to create a decorative column along the seam. I put 3 more columns so the footstool would look balanced.

The project took me all weekend. Partly because the glue had to dry. And partly because I didn't really know what I was doing and had to figure it out as I went along. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied.


  1. It looks fantastic Michelle! You did a fab job:)

  2. Oh I love the fabric that you chose! It came out great!

  3. i love the fabric choice girl. and the after product looks fantastic!!
    xo TJ

  4. Such a gorgeous transformation!! Love that fabric.

  5. What a wonderful before and after. Love the extra detail with the cord.


I love reading your comments...they're often the highlight of my day!